Portsmouth Naval Base, PO1 3LT
Permanent, Full time, 48 hours
Competative Salary + Benefits
Serco Maritime are recruiting for a Mate To assist the master with all placed under his/her command in operating his/her vessel, in the pursuance of Company objectives and policies to progress with in existing company procedures.
What you will be doing:
To assist the master, in a professional, effective and economical manner to Flag State and Class Standards. The OOW is responsible for keeping a safe look out when he is on watch with due regard to the International Regulations for the prevention of collisions at sea (COLREGS). The OOW, will be responsible for the supervision of the vessel crew while on tasks and will oversee all tasks on deck. The successful candidate will work with the deck when required and assist the master on the bridge. You will be responsible for Stock control of deck equipment held by the vessel. A key part of your role will be to assist with risk assessments and COSHH registers. You will receive all Company procedures, policies, temporary instructions and communicate to crew. It is essential that you ensure all records kept onboard are kept up to date.
Supervise crew for all activities carried out that are carried out by the vessel.
- Oversee all tasks on deck.
- Upkeep of Publications
- Stock control of deck equipment held by the vessel.
- Assist with risk assessments and COSHH registers.
- Ensure all measures to prevent pollution of the environment are exercised.
- Receive all Company procedures, policies, temporary instructions and communicate to crew.
- Ensure that all records kept onboard are kept up to date.
What you need to do the job:
Minimum 500GRT tug ticket
- STCW95 Certificate of Competency for the vessel they are operating.
- All ancillary in date certificates required to gain/revalidate the above
- ENG 1 Medical.
- Basic Management
- Health and Safety awareness
- Manual handling
- Managing customers and suppliers
- ISM Code
- Marine Industry Background
- Understanding of a planned maintenance System (such as AMOS
To discover more about our careers in Defence, meet our team, and to find out more about what we offer, please follow this Link. We’re also a signatory of the UK Governments Women in Defence Charter, to find out more please click here.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens, we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. As a proud Disability Confident Leader and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard, disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.