CAT is seeking a Human Resources Assistant to assist with the implementation of HR policies and ensuring the smooth operation of the HR Department.
The Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) is an internationally renowned environmental charity, a world-leading eco centre, and one of the foremost providers of postgraduate environmental education in the UK, based near Machynlleth in Mid Wales.
CAT provides inspiration, education and training in solutions to the climate and biodiversity emergency.
Key activities include a visitor centre where people can see solutions in action, residential, in-person and online short courses and events, vocational training, and postgraduate degrees in a wide range of sustainability-related topics.
Our free Information Service provides advice for individuals and our Zero Carbon Britain team publishes research and works directly with councils, communities and other organisations to help transform complex economic, social and political systems.
- Ref: HRA230427
- Area of Responsibility: Human Resources Department
- Responsible to: Human Resources Manager
- Responsible for: No Line Management Duties
- Contract type: Permanent
- Responsibility Grade: 2*
- Location: Normally at Charity’s site near Machynlleth, Mid Wales with some home working (There may be a requirement for a minimum of at least 2/3 days on site until fully trained)
- Hours: 37.5 hours per week.
- Working Days: Usually Monday to Friday
- Salary and employee benefits: £20,514 p.a
- Grade and Salary are subject to review as responsibilities increase
CAT also offers an attractive package of employee benefits, including:
- A free cooked lunch and free hot drinks from the café whenever working from the CAT eco centre
- 40% discount on retail goods purchased from CAT
- Opportunities for CPD training, qualifications & professional memberships to be funded by CAT
- Opportunity to take 2 CAT short courses per year free-of-charge
- the opportunity to purchase additional holiday days
- A ‘Cycle to Work’ scheme (planned)
- 5% pension contribution
- Generous maternity and paternity entitlement and Death In Service benefit
- 2 hours per month for general health & wellbeing & 2 hours per month for Welsh language tuition.
Work remotely: See Location
Application deadline: 9am 08 June 2023
Interviews to be held: Week commencing 19 or 26 June 2023 (on site)
Expected start date: To be discussed at offered stage
Working arrangements for staff comply with all current applicable COVID-19 guidance and are updated as and when the guidance changes.
Overview of Role
This post is based within the Human Resources and Central Administration part of the organisation. It will suit someone with 1-2 years’ experience in a HR role and knowledge of HR policies and procedures including sickness and leave absence, recruiting and well-being. Candidates should be used to dealing with people, have experience of maintaining strict confidentiality and possess an understanding of safeguarding. They should also have knowledge of GDPR in relation to HR. They may be required to provide administrative support to other functions as needed. Training will be provided on the job, with the possibility of support to study for an HR CIPD qualification.
To assist the HR Manager with:
- Advising staff on HR policies and procedures.
- Implementing and ensuring staff adhere to HR Policies.
- The recruitment processes.
- Maintaining any HR databases or spreadsheets as required.
- New starters – documentation, right to work checks.
- Providing HR Inductions to new starters and managing the induction process.
- Termination process.
- Administration for meetings (informal/formal) – arrangements, note taking.
- Administration for hearings – disciplinary, capability – arrangements, note taking.
- Assisting the Volunteers Officer with HR related tasks.
- Filing, copying and other administrative tasks.
- Any other appropriate duties as defined by the HR Manager or Director of Finance & Operations. This may involve administrative duties in support of other areas.
Applications should be forwarded to [email protected] by the deadline stating the job title in the Subject line.
Any queries should be addressed to [email protected]
Applications are required, CVs will not be accepted.