Main duties of the job
· To provide an efficient secretarial service to the Doctors and Practice clinicians (F2s, Registrars, Advanced Nurse Practitioners, Paramedics). This will include audiotyping and ensuring that all documentation (for example referral forms) is produced to an excellent standard.
· Ensure all information is secure and confidentiality of information is always maintained.
· Provide excellent customer care which may include communication with distressed and anxious patients and relatives, treating them with tact and empathy.
· Ensure the professional image of Leatside Surgery is always maintained.
Overview of the organisation
Leatside is a purpose-built surgery located in the flourishing market town of Totnes, with a current patient list size of just over 15,000. We pride ourselves on being a supportive and enjoyable place to work, with the practice culture at the heart of what we do. In May 2019 we were once again awarded an outstanding rating by the CQC.
We are fully computerised using SystmOne from April 2022 as our clinical system.
We are a training practice, with two GP Registrars, an F2, medical students, student nurses and paramedics. The surgery is also host to the community nursing and community mental health teams.
Job Title: Medical Secretary
Job Holder Responsible To: Operations Manager
- To provide a full and efficient secretarial service to the Doctors and Practice clinicians
(F2s, Registrars, Advanced Nurse Practitioners, Paramedics). This will include audio- typing and ensuring that all documentation (for example referral forms) is produced to an excellent standard
- Ensure all information is secure and confidentiality of information is maintained at all times
- Provide excellent customer care which may include communication with distressed and anxious patients and relatives, treating them with tact and empathy
- Ensure the professional image of Leatside Surgery is maintained at all times
KEY WORKING RELATIONS
The post holder must establish effective working relations with the following individuals and organisations to ensure an efficient service for patients:
- Operations Manager/General Manager
- GPs and all other clinicians (F2s, Registrars, ANPs, Paramedics, Pharmacist, PCN
- Leatside Surgery staff (Administration team, Reception team, Nursing Team)
- Admin and secretarial staff of local hospitals
- Devon Referral Support Services
- Local funeral services
- The Coroner’s Office
- The post holder will be expected to attend/complete mandatory training - e.g., Health &
Safety, Information Governance, Equality & Diversity, Fire Training – to comply with current regulations
- To be flexible and adaptable to the needs of the secretarial team
- The post holder will be expected to multi-task and prioritise.
KEY RESULT AREAS/PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that all audio typing is completed in a timely manner, paying particular attention to accuracy and presentation
- Prioritise Patient Tasks
- Action 2 week wait referrals ensuring patient has an appointment.
- Ensure that all Referral pathways are correctly completed on NHS E-referral systems
- Use multiple computer systems as required within the team such as SystmOne, NHS E-
Referrals, Adastra, Insight, Outlook, Excel
- Ensure accurate patient information is recorded whilst using the clinical system in line with Information Governance policy
- Ensure that email referrals are sent in a timely manner and in line with Surgery protocol
- Update the Secretaries manual when protocols/pathways change.
- Resolving problems which relate to the Choose and Book system. This includes dealing with rejected referrals.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance.
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patient needs.
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources.
- Liaising with external agencies such as secondary care and community services
- Respond to complaints where appropriate, escalating to Operations Manager if unable to resolve
- Maintain Devon Doctors register, action GP requests for Special Messages, forward TEP information urgently when requested. Remove entries regarding deceased patients.
- Action all administration procedures relating to deceased patients, liaising with the relevant third parties where appropriate, e.g., pharmacy, Register Office, funeral director.
- Assist with new clinician’s induction in regard to Lexacom / referral processes
- Keep up to date with DRSS and referral services processes and update the clinical system with new referral templates.
- Action any tasks deemed appropriate by management when availability allows.
- 2 years secretarial experience preferably in a medical environment
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Computer literacy, including a working knowledge of relevant programs, such as Word and Excel
- GCSE English or equivalent
- An understanding of patient care and the ability to work with sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Self-motivated with the ability to use your own initiative
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and deal with the public in a sensitive way
- Excellent attention to detail
- Exceptional organisational skills and ability to prioritise
- Willingness to embrace new ways of working/changes
- Experience with electronic referral service (ERS), SystmOne
- Experience working in General Practice
- NVQ level 3 in administration or equivalent experience, or RSA level lll (proficient and accurate audio typing skills).
- AMPSPAR or BSMA Certificate in Medical Terminology or equivalent qualification
Candidates will be invited to the surgery for interview on Thursday 20th April.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Part-time hours: 20-25 per week
Salary: £11.11 per hour
- Company pension
- Monday to Friday
We ask anyone attenting the surgery to do an LFT test before if they have any covid symptoms and advise us if they are positive for COVID-19 before arriving at the surgery.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Totnes, TQ9 5JA: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 06/04/2023
Reference ID: Medsec2023