Grow your career with an Apprenticeship with the National Trust Specialist Craft team funded by the Hamish Ogston Foundation . The Foundation is particularly interested in receiving applications from candidates aged 16 to 25 who would most benefit from undertaking an apprenticeship.
Further information on the Apprenticeship Standard here: Carpentry & Joinery
To apply for this role, please submit a covering letter that introduces yourself and answers the following questions:
- What do you understand about the Apprenticeship scheme?
- How would this apprenticeship benefit you?
- What do you know about the National Trust
- What attracts you to this role?
- What skills do you think would be the most important for a carpentry & joinery apprentice?
This will lead to a level 3 Advanced Carpentry & Joinery apprenticeship followed by a 12 months’ work placement and potentially a permanent role in the team
What it's like to work here:We own and care for one of the largest, most varied, and most significant collections of built structures in Europe. The greatest proportion of our 28,500 buildings and structures were constructed pre-1919 and these have high heritage value, with a range of uses - from offices to workshops, mansions to cottages. Our crafts people are an integral part of looking after our assets, using their skills to conserve and maintain our buildings and structures, and being part of creating a lasting legacy.
Your training will be based at a local college to the site with study on a day release basis.
You can find out more from some of our current and previous apprenticeships here: National Trust Jobs :: Apprenticeships
Based at our Specialist Craft workshop, located at Dunham Massey, you’ll gain experience in carpentry and joinery techniques. From here, you will travel to various sites across the National Trust’s north region carrying out prestigious conservation works on our buildings and structures.
Your apprenticeship is part of the National Trust’s ‘Hamish Ogston Foundation Heritage Crafts Apprenticeship programme’ which has been generously funded by the Hamish Ogston Foundation.
What you'll be doing:You’ll be working with your Trust Line Manager/ Mentor on tasks specific to your apprenticeship, as part of the wider team, and working outdoors in all weathers. You’ll attend, and prepare for, monthly review meetings with your Provider Mentor and be accountable for your progression concerning the Apprenticeship Standard. You’ll be required to complete and upload relevant evidence to the appropriate e-portfolio system to document your progress and maintain timesheets for Off-the-Job training. You’ll abide by the Trust’s ways of working and uphold our Values and Behaviours. You’ll be required to complete mandatory e-learning courses and training and prepare for you End Point assessment. You’ll be attending college on a day release basis for the duration of the apprenticeship.
Please also read the complete role profile attached to this advert.
Who we're looking forApplications will be assessed against the below criteria, as well as the content of your cover letter The minimum standards required for this role are:
- Team player with the ability to work independently or as part of a wider team
- Keen to learn, be committed to self-development and enthusiastic about acquiring new skills
- A genuine passion for preserving and maintaining our heritage
- Good attention to detail
- 2 GCSEs at grades D/3 including English and maths or equivalent
The packageThe National Trust has the motto ‘For everyone, for ever’ at its heart. We’re working hard to create an inclusive culture, where everyone feels they belong. It’s important that our people reflect and represent the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We welcome and value difference, so when we say we’re for everyone, we want everyone to be welcome in our teams too.
- Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
- Free entry to National Trust places for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Rental deposit loan scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Perks at work discounts i.e. gym memberships, shopping discount codes, cinema discounts
- Holiday allowance up to 32 days relating to length of service, plus holiday purchase scheme, subject to meeting minimum criteria.
- Flexible working whenever possible
- Employee assistance programme
- Free parking at most locations
- Independent financial advice
Requirements :Compliance.Eligibility to Work in the UK
Fixed Term f/t (27 mo)