Salary£40,178 - £52,288
Job gradeOther R&O 8 - Specliast
Length of employment1 x Permanent and 2 x Fixed Term/Internal Secondment (1 x 12 months and 1 x until end of Dec 2023)
Business areaTPR - Frontline Regulation
Type of roleInvestigation
Working patternFlexible working
Number of jobs available1
About the job
Things you need to know
Apply and further information
LocationBrighton, South East England, BN1 4DW
About the job
More than half the UK working population rely on The Pensions Regulator (TPR) to regulate their retirement savings. With a career at TPR, you’ll be joining an organisation that will impact on millions of lives for decades to come.
Everyone at TPR plays an important role in helping to keep more than £2trn of savings safe. We’re committed to bringing people into TPR who are ready to make a difference and put UK savers at the heart of what we do.
It is important to us that TPR remains a great place to work. We do all we can to help our people reach their full potential with learning, secondment, and development opportunities. We put our 900+ employees first, supporting flexible working and offer a diverse, lively, and inclusive environment. This includes our Disability Network, Family Network, LGBT+ Network (Proud), and Women’s Network, which offer spaces to connect.
Our new corporate strategy outlines a bold and challenging vision of how pensions regulation should evolve to keep pace with a change in the scale and nature of the industry. We are at the start of that journey. Join us to find out what part you can play.
We operate a hybrid working model, with regular attendance in our Brighton office to connect with colleagues across the business.
- The Enforcement team at TPR investigates concerns and breaches of legislation where our Supervisory intervention has not brought about the desired remedy or where breaches are serious enough to warrant enforcement action.
- The investigations team seeks to obtain evidence to establish the facts and whether enforcement action is appropriate.
- We’re looking for a proactive individual to join the Investigations team. You will have a primary focus on regulatory investigations but may also be asked to lead or be involved in criminal investigations where legislation gives TPR the power to prosecute.
- We are looking for an individual that will be willing to support the work we do across the whole Enforcement Directorate.
Undertake investigations for enforcement, including:
- Formulating the investigative strategy and establishing reasonable lines of enquiry
- Following the strategy by gathering and assessing evidence including digital data, paper records, business records, bank account statements and other personal financial and communications data
- Interacting with internal and external stakeholders who will include the regulated industry, members of pension schemes and other regulators / law enforcement organisations
- Prudent management of investigation costs including legal costs
- Obtaining required outcomes in line with investigatory strategies
- Production of an investigation report with recommendations for appropriate enforcement action
- Delivery of investigations in line with the schedule of delegations and in accordance with the decision-making framework
Essential and Desirable Criteria
- Knowledge and experience of investigation techniques and legal requirements for the conduct of regulatory investigations including evidence gathering
- Awareness of disclosure requirements for regulatory proceedings
- Awareness of litigation processes for regulatory proceedings
- Experience of drafting investigation outcome reports
- Pensions knowledge
- Knowledge and experience of investigation techniques, disclosure requirements and litigation processes for criminal investigations
- Knowledge or experience of business practices including corporate transactions, finance and accounting
- Experience in conducting formal interviews, executing search warrants and/or carrying out inspections
- Proactive and flexible
- Ability to prioritise and use initiative
- Negotiating skills
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Communication skills at all levels
- Attention to detail and accuracy
Salary and benefits
As well as a starting salary from £40,178 to £52,288 per annum dependent on skills and experience with access to performance related pay, bonus and civil service pension scheme we offer:
- Civil Service Pension arrangements, which are recognised as some of the best in the pensions world
- discretionary bonus arrangements
- access to performance related pay progression
- 25 days annual leave provision
- flexible working arrangements
- development opportunities
- enhanced parental leave arrangements
- a free employee assistance programme
- an excellent office location in Brighton.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
How to apply
To apply please email [email protected] quoting role reference number 154848 along with:
- a covering letter with details of how your skills and experience meet the role requirements
- a copy of your CV
- details of your notice period
When responding please confirm if you are interested in permanent or Fixed term role. If you are applying for a fixed term role, please provide the contract duration that you are submitting your application for.
Current employees in their first 12 months of employment who want to apply for this vacancy should first contact their line manager to discuss their application.
We are an inclusive employer and offer equal opportunities regardless of an individual’s age, disability, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation.
As a Disability Confident employer, we’re committed to the recruitment, employment, retention, and development of people with disabilities, and to improving their employment opportunities. Candidates who declare that they have a disability and who meet the essential criteria for the job will be offered an interview.
Applications will be considered on a part time and job share basis.
Please be aware, as we work within a hybrid environment, unless specified we will be holding interviews through Microsoft Teams for the foreseeable future.
In accordance with Home Office guidance, the successful candidate will be required to provide their right to work in the UK before they start employment. Unfortunately, TPR is not able to offer sponsorship at the time. TPR is a UK-based organisation with a working location in Brighton, candidates must live in the UK to be employed by us.
The Pensions Regulator is an arm’s length government body and part of the public service.
Any offer of employment will be subject to the receipt of satisfactory background screening checks and criminal record checks (BPSS).
If you have any queries about this role, or if you have a disability and wish to request a reasonable adjustment at any stage of the recruitment process, please email [email protected]
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
SecuritySuccessful candidates must undergo a criminal record check. People working with government assets must complete baseline personnel security standard (opens in new window) checks.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) (opens in a new window)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil ServiceThe Civil Service Code (opens in a new window) sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles (opens in a new window). The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further informationThe Civil Service welcomes applications from people who have recently left prison or have an unspent conviction. Read more about prison leaver recruitment (opens in new window). Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact :
Recruitment team :